Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Coronavirus Cancelations

This month has really been crazy. I think I jinxed it when I said I hope since March came in like a lamb it could just as well leave like one too. We all know though that is not how the saying goes. If it comes in like a lamb it will leave like a lion. Well March is really leaving like a lion and it doesn’t have much to do with the weather this year. Churches are closed, schools are closed, all sporting events have been cancelled or postponed, stores are running out of everything, and much more.

As of now I figured I would have piles of homework to do from school as we finish up third quarter and prepare for fourth, but in all reality I just have a list of chores to do on the farm. This no school thing for at least four weeks started off as something really cool. I thought I would be able to sleep in, watch movies, and relax with my friends. However I feel like I am the newest full time helper on the farm feeding calves, sweeping the shop, cleaning the shop and anything else my family can think of. Many hours of family bonding will be done during the next few weeks with all four of us kids home on an unplanned and extended break.

My brothers are also beginning to realize that checking cows was much easier when they were three hours away at college. Their easy days of checking cows on their phone in between classes has now become countless times of driving over to the farm to feed the cows, tag the calves, and make new pens. My brothers are also beginning to realize the cows can’t see their face through the camera and the cows are very confused as to who they are. This past week one of my brothers got chased out of the yard by a high spirited cow. I haven’t seen him run that fast since his 7th grade track season.

Best of luck to you and yours as we all try to stay positive through these trying times. Who knew this Coronavirus could cause such a ruckus? One of my favorite farmer quotes is, “tough times don’t last but tough people do.” 

~ Kesley Holdgrafer



No comments:

Post a Comment