Thursday, February 11, 2021

Generations

A couple weeks ago I was filling out a questionnaire sheet for senior year. Most of the questions were pretty simple such as your favorite color, food, and so on. However one specific question stopped me in my tracks. It really made me think. The question was if I could have dinner with any three people past or present who would they be? I spent hours just looking at this question and thinking. The possibilities were endless. Then I thought what if I were to do a farm version of this question. I know right away the three people I would want to have dinner with.

I would sit down with three different generations of farmers. I think it would be amazing to talk to them and hear all their stories. We all know farmers can tell great stories! I would also love to get the chance to tell them about how much the industry has changed. Especially how much technology has impacted the everyday decisions we make. I would show them pictures taken with drones from the sky giving them an overview of their farms and the high tech yield graphs that clearly show wet spots in the field. Then I would love to see their jaw drop when I tell them how much machinery costs and watch it drop even further when I tell them how much good land sells for.

Each generation is so completely different. The ag industry and the world keep evolving with every year. My dad recently experienced just how different generations are last week when he went to get a new cell phone. The lady at the store asked him a simple question. What do you use your phone for? My dad was baffled at the question and answered pretty snarly, to make phone calls. What else could you possibly use a phone for? My dad only uses his phone to call people. However, the new younger generations use their phone for everything and rarely make a phone call at all. They may use their phone to take pictures, get on social media, promote a business, read books, watch movies, and so much more. Every generation is different and continues to change the way we view the world, especially in the ag industry. That is why if given the chance, I would sit down with three farmers, from different generations.

That leaves me with one question. Who would you pick? If you could have dinner with any three people, past or present who would they be? It’s a thought provoking question to answer!

~ Kesley Holdgrafer

No comments:

Post a Comment