Thursday, July 30, 2020

End of the Summer Checklist

August. How can it be August already??? When I think of August I think of the Iowa State Fair and the start of school. Without the state fair this year the next thing on my list is school, which means summer will be officially over. Then the next thing you know it will be time to start getting things ready for harvest season. There is already a chopper box getting worked on in our shop. Before I get too far ahead of myself I decided to make a top five to do list everyone should do before summer ends.

The number one thing most farmers like to do when they get a free moment or even if it is while they are traveling from one farm to the next is to road farm. Road farming is driving around and looking at the crops while comparing fields. It involves slow speeds with lots of gawking and swerving while looking at the crops. I usually offer to drive so the farmer can get a better look. I’ve learned to drive slowly and just agree with all of his ramblings about whether I think that hay needs to be sprayed again or if I see the yellow tint to the alfalfa leaves. The next thing on the list that you can even combine with the first one is going to get some ice cream. Some of the best ice cream shops are only opened during summer and you have to make sure to get your share before the season ends. You can bet if I’m driving while road farming we are stopping for ice cream every chance we get! I have learned to bring my own cash because Farmer Dad’s often forget to bring their billfolds or if they do happen to have it with them, there is probably only a dusty dollar or maybe two in it. Another thing on my to do list for this time of year is to watch the aerial crop duster spray. They are just starting to come around right about now. I love watching them fly over low and turn and come back. The next must do summer thing is stop and buy lemonade from a stand set up in a yard in town anytime you see one. Nothing better than getting a cold glass from a youngster and asking them about their day. My brothers stopped at a stand set up on a corner in Miles last week after checking cows. Best lemonade ever from a cute little five year old. Last not but not least and if you haven’t already, be sure to eat some locally grown sweet corn. Nothing beats a hot summer day and delicious sweet corn. Shucking the corn on the picnic table while drinking some fresh lemonade just sounds magical to me!


These are only some of the amazing things Iowa has to offer during the summer. While this summer may look a little different then most, that doesn’t stop me from making the most out of it because before I know it I will be stuck behind a desk at school again. Last week I was in Fort Dodge at the state softball tournament. If you didn’t follow along on social media, be sure to check it out on the Northeast website. Have a wonderful week, enjoy the rest of your summer, and be on the lookout for road farmers! 

- Kesley Holdgrafer

No comments:

Post a Comment