Sunday, November 24, 2019

Thanksgiving

While the weather outside might remind some of us of Christmas because of all the snow, it is actually only November and November is known for Thanksgiving. When I think of Thanksgiving, I think of food. A day full of feasting over delicious food. My mouth begins to water just thinking about it. Even though the weather outside is holding farmers back once again and the rush to get harvest done is still going, there is no denying that Thanksgiving is coming.


This year's harvest is the first one that I have officially been 16 and when I am not in school I am on lunch duty. Lunch delivery is my specialty. Grandma is famous for making lunches, I simply deliver them to the field. One thing I have noticed about lunch duty is that even though farmers might be in a hurry to get crops out, farmers are in just as big of a hurry to find their lunch. As soon as the vehicle with lunch pulls into the field, all the tractors, combines, and semis rush to the vehicle to get their meal. Most would think that since it is late in the year, farmers would not be worried about lunch so much. However, whenever I pull in the gate with lunch I often question which wagon is more important. The lunch wagon or the grain wagon? The most important thing about harvest season is to keep the stressed farmers happy. When you have a hungry farmer, you will have a cranky farmer. I can assure you from my personal experience that nobody wants that! We are very thankful for the Thanksgiving feasts we have at the end of November and the feasts we receive all harvest long, made by grandma and delivered out to the field.


All in all, even with the rush to get crops out this year there will always be time for lunch. A full farmer is a happy farmer. I want to thank all the wonderful people behind the scenes that help keep these farmers going all fall as you are the real heroes. I hope everyone continues to have a safe and successful fall and a yummy Thanksgiving meal. 

~Kesley Holdgrafer

No comments:

Post a Comment