Monday, September 9, 2019

Back to School



It’s that time of year again. The school bells are going off and big yellow buses are on the road. It is time for kids to go back to school and for some parents, it’s their favorite time of year because the kids are finally out of the house and back to a structured routine. As we flip our calendars to September, most schools have already begun including most colleges across the state. This means that summer of 2019 is officially over.

For most students like me, it is a very sad time of year because summer was an amazing adventure with great things happening each and every week. When school starts it means no more fun late-night adventures to the drive-in or spontaneous trips for ice cream after dinner. It also sadly means that all the county and state fairs have come to an end and it’s time to get those record books in order. My older brothers are back in Ames at college and are no longer around to help with chores. That one is the worst of all.

It is not all doom and gloom that school is starting however, there are also many pluses that come with this time of year. For example, I now can play the excuse “I have homework” when asked to help out with extra chores on the farm that I don’t really like. Throughout the summer, this excuse did not work, trust me I tried. However now when someone asks me “hey do you have time to go check the pasture” or “I was wondering if you got a chance, if you could stop by and pick up these parts for me?” I can easily reply with a “sorry I can’t right now, I have homework” and the request gets dropped, no questions asked.

For some, school can be miserable, but I have learned that if you play your cards right school can also work in your favor as well. I hope you all have a great September and if a student tells you they have lots of homework, I promise you they have piles and piles! ~ Kesley Holdgrafer

No comments:

Post a Comment