Friday, July 26, 2019

Summer Thoughts



The local county fairs have come to an end as well as the month of July. To me these past two months have gone by in a blink of an eye and before I know it I will be back at a school desk doing assignments. Trust me, I am not excited for school to start back up. With that, June and July have been some crazy months and they have lead me to think of a lot of things. So here are a couple random summer thoughts from the Holdgrafer Farm.


First off, we had one of the wettest springs ever on record according to my meteorologist family. I can remember them all spring telling me it needs to dry up so we can finish getting the crops in. Well now it is too dry and our lawns are drying up and need rain. However we have had some good weather to make some amazing second cutting hay this past week and I have not had to cut our lawn in awhile.


Secondly, in reference to my brother’s impulsive purchase of bred heifers this spring, I never realized how labor intensive it is having cows and calves. I figured once calving season was over we would just put them in a pasture and not worry about them too much. Man was I wrong! We checked flood gates all spring, continue to check pasture fences and feed them daily. The hot weather and flies have caused a few watery eyes, so we have ran them through the chute and put in new fly tags. It has been one thing after another, with these cows. I can also count on one hand how many weeks the boys are still home to check their own cows and then once they leave for college again, Luke and I are back to doing cow chores all by ourselves.


All in all, these past two months have really flown by and for the most part they have been some amazing months. It was another memorable county fair with a couple of our projects selected for the state fair in August. I hope your summer is going great, your fences are tight, your alfalfa is thick, and your summer has been one to remember! ~Kesley Holdgrafer

No comments:

Post a Comment