Sunday, September 17, 2017

Starbucks In Boots





Living in the middle of nowhere has its benefits. Minimal traffic, no houses in any direction, and most importantly, plenty of space for cattle.
The downside; however is that Starbucks is at least 35 minutes away. I am not a coffee drinker by nature, but I do enjoy Starbucks. The fact that I do not get it very often makes it an even bigger treat.
The last time I was in Davenport, I was passing through on my way to a cattle sale. The line at the drive up was awful, so I went inside to order.
I do not wear boots to the cities much and I was certainly conscious of them that morning. You would think I had walked out of a comic book the way people starred. Apparently, boots and bling are out of style in this area of Iowa. Caramel chai in hand, I headed out the door and back to the safety of my gravel covered car. 
Looking back on the experience, I am still amazed at the rift that separates us from them. Even though cornfields surround the Quad Cities, the gap between farm and city is getting wider. Part of me is sad at this, but the other part looks at it as a conversation point. As an agriculturalist, it is my duty to find a way to bridge this gap. It is a personal goal that I have over the course of the next year. Keep reading to follow my progress!


No comments:

Post a Comment